Monday, August 13, 2007

On friends

I hate people who, after just meeting someone for a couple of times, immediately tell people that "Oh, yeah, he/she's my friend."

When people ask, I say "Yeah, I know him/her."

I wouldn't exactly call him a friend, because to be friends with each other means that the two of you share a deeper connection than just being, say, classmates at a birthing class.

Which brings me to the topic of second-degree friends... also known as friends of friends. For example, in my case, my second-degree friends are Eric's barkada, and their respective girlfriends/boyfriends.

I've known some of them for as long as I've known Eric (six years) and there was a time that I got together with them more often than my own friends.

But I still can't call all of them "friends" in the truest sense of the word.

Maybe it's because everytime we meet, the conversations are pretty similar -- "How's work?" "Have you watched this latest movie?" "What do you think of Kris Aquino's latest scandal?" "Did you hear what happened to one-of-Eric's-first-degree-friends?"

Don't get me wrong, sometimes we talk about other stuff: like another second-degree friend gave birth, so we talk a bit about parenting and baby-stuff. Another is taking up her MA, so we talk about that too.

But for the life of me, I can't talk to them the way I talk to my first degree friends. Wherein we can talk for hours. About anything. And everything. And sometimes it's not even about things we have in common or shared experiences. It can shift from the latest Harry Potter to the lovelife of a sibling (tsismosa namin, 'no?) We talk about our goals, wants, and aspirations; as well as our crushes, awful bad dates, and best books read.

For example:

With first degree friends, a conversation about Ruffa Gutierrez and Yilmaz Bektas can shift into a conversation about our types of guys, and then shift to reminisces about awful dates, and then shift to why Turkey isn't such a bad place to go to.

With second-degree friends, we talk about Ruffa and Yilmaz, period.

With my first degree friends, I laugh till my stomach hurts.

With second degree friends, I sometimes find my mouth hurting from too much forced smiles.

It's not to say they're bad people; if any of them asked me for a favor, I'd be glad to help, just as I know that they're a text away if I need something I know they're good at. They visited me when I gave birth and I text them during their birthdays. But they're not the people I text when I want to rant about an annoying contestant in Deal or No Deal; and I don't think about them if I want to try out a new restaurant.

So the questions is, do I still consider them friends? Or should I just say "Yeah, I know him/her?"

8 comments:

Anndee said...

hmm. just thought of something...

does this mean that "real first degree friends" are only developed during high school - college days?

because friends we meet after school are usually already friends of friends?

(call me! parang i feel like analyzing this!) hehe!

anyway, i agree jac! there's nothing better than conversations with real first degree friends!!! :)

Anonymous said...

and where do we stand? I'd like to hear your comment naman on family. haha. Our family, that is.

-rain

Anonymous said...

Syempre friends din consider mo sa mga 2nd degree friends. Those people whom you consider, "Yeah I know him/her." are only for those who you've met once or twice or yung mga tipong acquaintance lang!!

Anonymous said...

Ako nga pala nag-post niya... Hubby!!!

Anndee said...

hmm. i think tama din si hubby mo... pwedeng considered friends pa rin...

PERO
i believe that there are many levels of friendship...
from the hi/hello-we-met-once, to the hi/hello-used-to-be-classmates-but-i-seem-to-forget-his/her-name, to business-associate-whose-topic-is-only-always-about-work, to officemates-who-you-pass-by-on-elevators, to officemates-who-sit-beside-you, to friends-who-you-seldom-see-but-whom-you-consider-your-close-friend, to friends-you-always-hang-out-with-but-you-can-never-tell-your-secrets, to etc etc etc.....

so... yeah, pwede rin nga considered friends pa rin ang second degree friends...
they fall somewhere in between the different levels. :)

Anndee said...

rain, i think you fall in the category of: friends-because-you're-family-and-no-choice-na! hehehe.

Anonymous said...

ahaha. good one, ann!

-rain

Anonymous said...

acquaintance are those you just met a few times whereas everyone you get to see more than a few times are considered friends.
however there are different levels of friendship.

otherwise how will i categorized people who are "friends" of "FRIENDS" who i get to see almost regularly over the years.