Call me old-fashioned, but I'm the type who likes to type sms with the words all spelled out. Yes, occasionally, I abbreviate -- "you" to "u," "tomorrow" to "tom," and even the days of the week -- but that's only when my message threatens to exceed one page. But I consider these abbreviations still falling within the confines of proper English or Tagalog grammar.
Other texters, however, seem to be getting out of hand.
There's that ubiquitous peeve of mine-- "me," which people use in place of "ako." As in "Dito na me." "Kain na me." Argh.
And then there are those abbreviations which I thought I already got the hang of, but seem to continuously evolve into the incomprehensible, not to mention ridiculous.
Examples:
"Sige" used to be "cge." Now it's "geh."
"Anyway" used to be "nyway." A few days ago, I received a message that had "nwe," and I had to spend a few seconds reading the entire message over and over again before I understood what it stood for. I kept pronouncing it as "now-eh."
"Kasi" --> "kc" --> "xe."
"Ako" --> "me" --> "aq."
"Siya" --> "sya" --> "sia."
The "sia" I find particularly annoying. It's just one friggin' letter changed; why even bother? Is it because the "y" keypad is further than the "i"?!
What's even doubly annoying is if people type these shortcuts even though the message is only a few words long. "Geh, alis n aq. Tnx." Exactly what do these people do with the few precious seconds they save by not typing the whole thing?
Monday, August 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
i may not mind receiving txt spik but i do mind those recent changes. hate them in fact. i like the old one better because they are more comprehendsible.
I KNOOOOWWW! I super hate those kind of texts! Especially, when the texts you receive are work related! Annoying! Parang I don't want to do business with them anymore.
One more annoying text is if a person replied to your long-as-in-3-messages-long-text with just a letter "k" !!
Grrr...
I also don't mind reading the older shortcuts but the latest ones are just too much. Baka next time, one letter na lang per word hehehe!!
Pero fun fun pa rin if I text you "Me" coz I know how you hate it so much hahaha!!!
That's all, log out na ME!!
Mis n u
*GRIN*
Post a Comment