I don't go to media events expecting to be treated like some VIP, but tonight was one for the books.
It was for the grand launch of The Icon condominium project at The Fort. I've attended these real estate things before and they're usually casual, breezy affairs, so I expected tonight to be the same. Not.
For one thing, it wasn't just a grand launch, it was a sosi grand launch. As I neared the venue, I saw the spotlights...the white tents...the tables with the white tablecloths and colorful sashes...the waiters carrying champagne... The optimist in me thought, "Hey, cool, at least the food will be good."
As I went even nearer, though, I saw the other guests more clearly now and my optimism turned to panic--argh, it was a formal event!! The men were in suits or barong, the women in long gowns, make-up, and perfectly coiffed hair. And because there was nothing in the invitation I received that said "Attire: Formal," there I was in just a semi-dressy top, jeans, and open-toed sandals! The clincher: I was so underdressed that as I stood there, one of the Icon people even approached me and tapped me on the shoulder to ask, "Miss, who invited you?"
Mukha akong gatecrasher!!!!
I gave her the name of the PR girl I RSVP-ed to a few days ago and they went off to find her. I politely asked the remaining staff if they had a press kit... and they just exchanged blank looks. Because they had none?? I mean, what's the point in inviting the media if you don't have a press kit?! Unless, it's a purely sosyalan thing... but again that wasn't indicated in the invitation.
I texted my boss to ask if we had a good relationship with the PR agency who sent the invite, because if they did, I would just grit my teeth and sit through the event. She texted me back to tell me that she didn't "know her from Eve," which meant we didn't owe them anything at all.
So screw it, I went back to my car and left. It's a good thing The Fort is just near my place, otherwise I'd be more upset that I am now.
Thursday, February 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment