Sunday, February 12, 2006

Kwentong Korean

Let's see....on more than one occasion, I've been mistaken for a Japanese, Singaporean, Hong Kong-er. Most recently, people thought I was Thai.

Last night, however, marked the first time that someone mistook me for a Korean.

I was buying a bag (along with Eric and one of his friends) at one of the stalls of Eastwood City and was wondering why the perky saleslady there kept responding to me in English even though I was talking to her in Tagalog. As she rifled through her pockets for change, she asked me, "So ma'am, where in Korea are you from?"

Eric's friend, who was nearer to us, started laughing, and I also smilingly protested. "Ano ka ba, Pinoy ako! Kaya pala kanina mo pa ako ine-English. Di ba tina-Tagalog naman kita?"

The girl didn't look the least bit abashed and instead informed me that apparently, a lot of Koreans in the Eastwood area have learned to speak Tagalog very well.

No sooner had I gotten my bag and we started to leave then a whole posse of Koreans (you can tell by their hair, the way they dressed, and their language) passed in front of us. Eric and his friend started laughing again, "O, ayan, mga kababayan mo!" and I couldn't help but laugh along. It was definitely one of the more interesting highlights of the evening.

Thinking back, I guess I should feel flattered. After all, I've heard that Korean girls rank among Asia's prettiest. Hmmm... so okay lang! Hahahahaha!

No comments: