Monday, July 23, 2007

Anti-climax: HP review

So now that I’ve finished the book, what do I have to say?

What I love:
  • Finally! Voldemort shines! I know, I know, he’s evil, but here, he’s impressively evil. His role in the six books were merely “supporting;” here in Book 7, we finally understand why everyone in the wizarding world was afraid of him.
  • Great fight scenes. And there are lots of them. I can’t wait to see how the major ones will look on the big screen once the film version is made. I especially look forward to The Battle of Hogwarts; in relation, it was nice to see the professors do something more drastic than hand out detentions.
  • The cameo appearances of familiar faces. Viktor Krum makes an appearance! So does Cho Chang, the other members of Dumbledore’s Army, and Dobby the house-elf. And, yeah, so does Dolores Umbridge, but don’t worry, you’ll love what happens to her.
  • Snape’s redemption. I didn’t know which made me go “Oh my God” louder—when I read the chapter devoted to Snape’s memories, or when Hedwig dies. And speaking of characters dying…
  • Deaths that hit the spot. I was so caught up in trying to predict who between Harry or Voldemort would die that I forgot that there were other characters (good guys) who could possibly die as well. Quite a few of them did, and to be honest, they were those whom I least expected. Which I guess was why the deaths were all the more jarring. Again, I hope the movie does these death scenes justice.

My gripes:
  • A dragging middle. I think there were too much pages devoted to Harry & Co.’s stay at Grimmauld Place and their camping all over England.
  • Dumbledore’s life. The idea that he had a sketchy past seemed to have come out of nowhere. I wish there had been hints about it in the previous six books; it’s kind of off to think that he was this great, benevolent wizard for the first six books and then get sprung a new notion right out of nowhere.
  • Bitin epilogue. I wanted to see more of what happened to the other characters, like Luna, the rest of the Weasley family, even the Dursleys. But, hmm, don’t you think the ending left room open for a Harry Potter 8?... Now that would be cool!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey jac,

daaaaang. you gots the new book. i will get my hands on one, no matter the cost (or the felony).

anyways, i'll drop you an email about moks's guitar fund. we did get a guitar from it, and i'm very satisfied with the results. i'll include pics in the email. thanks for your contri.

i'm back blogging, by the way. new page, new life. see you around.

addicted2grace.blogspot.com

P.S.
i'll link you, ayt?

idagurl said...

snape - coudlnt agree more. now i'm justified why i totally like him (which was weird in the first few books)

cameos - oh yeah, he/she/it is still alive pa pala. memories. haha

bitin epilogue - oo nga! they dont even reveal what are the occupations of the main characters. but what i truly love is albus severus. hehe

hi jacluts!

Jaclyn said...

Hi John -- Welcome back to the blogging world! Eep,I keep forgetting to get the book that you want to borrow from me! :(

Hi Ida! Speaking of cameos, don't you wish there was more of Viktor Krum though?? Hahaha!

Anndee said...

i recently discovered that wikipedia is very updated pala! galeng! click on wikipedia about harry potter and everything's there! their family tree, etc...

did you know that draco is harry's godcousin? that sirius' eye colour is grey? and that the weasley's are related to the black family?

O diba?? :) information overload!