Sunday, July 01, 2007

Blank

Some people have a knack for remembering names and faces, even of those they haven't been in contact with for a long time. While I do not possess the same photographic memory, I was confident that I would be able to at least vaguely acknowledge that there was something familiar about the people I run into.

How do you explain, therefore, that three times in three different occasions I was greeted by people -- but I drew a total blank?

The first time was a couple of years back at SM Department Store -- Eric and I were paying for our purchases when someone calls out, "Jacluts, kumusta ka na?"

I turned around and.. I swear... I had no idea who she was. Except she called my by a nickname that only those people from high school know of, so that should narrow things down a bit... NOT. And because I would rather be stupid than embarrassed, I pretended I did know her, and asked, "Uy!!! Kumusta ka na? Saan ka nag-w-work?"

She even introduced me to her boyfriend/husband, while I didn't do the same with Eric, because heck, I she was a total stranger to me!! I left as hurriedly as I could and all through the night, I kept racking my brains. No dice.

The next two instances occurred (separately) at Bonifacio High Street. The first time, I noticed that a girl kept staring at me. I ignored her, but when we nearly collided with each other, she sheepishly waved to me and said something like "hi." Flustered, I said "hey" back and left.

The second time, a guy gave me a "raised eyebrows in greeting" move but as I was walking, I just...walked on.

Not familiar at all.

I must be coming across as a total snob.

Or I'm getting early Alzheimer's.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't worry... i don't think you're a snob. next time, i'll wear a nametag on my shirt. ;)

Anonymous said...

Kumain ka na naman ng pork....ng beans...Sustagen Premium?! XDDD

I get that a lot too. Sometimes, I just give out a sheepish smile and leave. Kahit nga sa text eh, dami akong natatanggap na ibang number and since they call me by name, I just reply back. Pero siyempre cautious din ako.

We're still too young for Alzheimers!

Anndee said...

hahaha! that happens a lot to me too! sobra kakahiya! i can totally relate! :P

Jaclyn said...

Hi Cindy and Ann -- Buti sana kung cute guy yung bumabati 'no?? Hahaha...