Wednesday, November 22, 2006

(S)Mothering

Most women dread the thought of becoming grandmothers.

Not my mom. She's so excited that every day for the past week, she's been calling me to ask how I am, how baby is, if I'm already spotting, or if I'm already have contractions.

She can get a bot overboard as well. Like yesterday morning, Eric and I went to visit our baby's pediatrician-to-be and I didn't bother telling my mom. As luck would have it, she called the house looking for me; when she found out I wasn't there, she wondered where I went since she knows that around this time, I really try not to leave the house unnecessarily anymore.

So she rang me on my cell.

Which I didn't answer because I had turned it on silent mode at the doctor's.

She then rang Eric's cell, which he didn't answer as well.

She then texted both of us, "Where are you?"

So by the time Eric and I saw both our cells, I assumed there was some sort of emergency with her and called her back, only for her to tell me, "I thought you had gone into labor and went to the hospital without telling me." And then scolded me for not telling her my plans to go out that morning.

Which is another issue I have with my mom altogether.

Argh.

Since then, I make it a point to answer the phone all the time. Even when I'm in the shower and it rings, I step out and drip all the way across the room to get to the phone. Because normally I just let it ring. But now I can't risk my mom going all eager-psycho again. I just get more annoyed slash stressed.

No comments: