Tuesday, May 22, 2007

To have or not to have

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Another baby, I mean.

Let me clarify -- obviously, I would want to have another kid. The question is "when."

Eric (gulp) says he's ready for another one, all I have to do is say the word. Easy for him to say, he's not the one waking up at 2 A.M.

Justin's yaya wants me to get pregnant soon too. "Kawawa naman si Justin, walang kalaro." True, because the way things are going, I figure it's going to be three years (at least) before a cousin comes along.

My doctor wants me to wait two years, three if I can, because (a) anything earlier will cause sibling rivalry, and (b) medically speaking, my body will have recovered from baby #1 by then. The downside: I'll be in my thirties by that time, and I read somewhere that once women hit thirty, more health complications occur during pregnancy.

So let's play a game:

Pro of getting pregnant again (like right now): Justin will have an instant playmate
Con: I'll be too busy taking care of the playmate, I won't have time to take care of Justin anymore.

Pro: Isang hirap lang -- one whole series of years of sleepless nights, colic, bedtime and bathtime battles. And then I can rest for the rest of my life, as opposed to puyat-rest-puyat-rest.
Con: Will I really ever get to the "rest" stage? Fyi, Justin is currently 5 months old and I am still not getting the quality sleep that I used to have, and that I so badly need. I really don't think the puyat phase will end anytime soon.

Pro: Isang kain lang -- no need to worry about losing weight now only to have to gain it all back after a couple of years.
Con: I might as well sell all the pre-pregnancy clothes I have in my closet right now. Sayang naman.

Pro: No period!
Con: Hmm, can't think of any. If my decision rested solely on this, I'd say go for it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

regardless of age gap there will usually be sibling rivalry. even with my sister and i with 4yrs and 3 mos gap. and my brother and i with 2 yrs and 2 months gap.

Unknown said...

hi jac! nice to have you back online. unlike les, my brother and i didn't really have sibling rivalry though our age gap is only a year and six months. i think early on, it was clear that we're very different from each other and the comparison ended there.

kayenne said...

ideally, if you're C-sec. wait time should be 2 years. 1 year for normal delivery. and i agree with the previous comment, my sis and i differ 1.5 years in age. i actually have more issues with our youngest who is 11 years my junior. it all depends on how you treat them and how you instill sibling affection while they are young. it's good for kids to have playmates. encourages interaction and better social skills.

don't worry too much by age, if we're speaking of early 30's. today's lifestyle affords us better health compared to prior generations.