Monday, January 09, 2006

Reverse snobbery

Eric and I spent the day at Alabang Town Center yesterday, where we kept making fun of the surroundings' supposed chi-chi crowd.

For example, we got there around noon, and when I saw that the open air parking slots near the mall entrance were already filled, I worried the all the other parking slots elsewhere were also equally full.

"Ok lang yan," Eric assured me, confidently positive that the parking spaces further away would still have slots. "Malamang puno pag malapit sa mall kasi yung mga mayayaman, ayaw maglakad nang malayo."

Yes, but it was already lunchtime. In other malls, if you come around this time, expect to have a hard time finding a parking space.

"Wala yan, sosi mga tao dito, di sila gumigising nang maaga."

True enough, we easily found parking at the covered parking area.

Inside, we ate at Tony Roma's (famous for its baby-back ribs), primarily because it was the only restaurant in the row that wasn't filled to the brim. The reason? "Palibhasa mga mayayaman, ayaw madumihan ang kamay pag kakain," we snickered.

The restrooms were also not crowded, there was no line at all in the one I went to. Because, yes, rich people will mostly likely rather use the pay restroom than line up in the "common" bathrooms.

When we left around 2:30pm, there was a long line leading into the parking lot. "Told you," Eric said. "Kagigising lang ng mga tao."

Yes, we were mean. But it sure was a lot of fun.

No comments: