Monday, April 03, 2006

Lifeguard on duty

I watched over a five-year-old girl in a swimming pool yesterday and it was the most nerve-wracking experience of my life.

See, the thing with kids is you don't know when they're just horsing around in the water or when they're actually on the verge of drowning! Worse if the kid, like the one yesterday, isn't afraid of the water but at the same time doesn't know how to swim! So on one hand, she loves splashing around, but neither does she want to be encumbered with holding onto the ledge or on a kickboard.

And it doesn't help that her idea of "holding on" is grabbing onto the straps of my bathing suit's top.

Hmm...I suppose this is good training for me as a parent-to-be. Besides, I guess this is chicken feed compared to the next time when I'll probably be teaching an eighteen-year-old kid how to drive!

No comments: