Monday, April 10, 2006

An official "Good deed for the day"

Image hosting by Photobucket

Last week, I signed up to be a child sponsor for the World Vision organization. It's my first ever concrete attempt at social responsibility, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. For only P450 a month, my kid (who's from one of the poorest areas in Palawan) will get to go to school and have access to things we take for granted like clean water and healthy food.

I got to choose who I wanted to sponsor...and at first, I tried to be methodical. I searched for a kid who shared my birthday...Eric's birthday...my name.... Eric's name.... zilch. In the end, I saw the profile of this 10-year-old girl who listed down her favorite subject as "Math" and decided to go for her, just because I think she deserves credit for liking something I sorely detested when I was 10 years old.

Sponsors are encouraged to write to their kids so that we can get to know each other better, and I'm quite excited to send my first one. The problem is I'll have to brush up on my written Tagalog—-see, my oral Tagalog sucks, but my written one is plain embarrassing. Of course, one of the first things I will ask her is, "Bakit mo gusto ang Math?".

No comments: