What is it about parents that they have this uncanny ability to turn the most self-assured person into a neurotic mess with just a simple comment?
Sometimes I think my relatiobnship with mine borders on the sado-masochistic——I know that I can be (emotionally) better off by not telling them certain things or just basically living my own life... but when I do act on this brief streak of independence, I end up feeling guilty because I think I'm not being a good daughter. So I end up caving in.
See, this is why one of my biggest regrets in life is not experiencing what it's like to study or live abroad for a long period of time, because the consequence: The apron strings are still very much attached (with Super Glue), and I fear it's going to take more than a hacksaw for them (yes, not me) to cut (or at least ease) the ties that bind.
Or maybe that's just me.
***
Last night, out of the blue, I recalled that Eric and I had our First Major Fight around last month, and by "Major" I mean it was the kind of fight wherein for the first time in our 5+ years together, we both went to sleep without resolving that particular difference. Now while I remember the where (we were in Baguio), the when (it was our on first night there) and the how (pretty quiet, with both of us waiting for the other to apologize first), I couldn't for the life of me remember the "why." And when I asked Eric this morning, he couldn't remember what was the cause of the tiff either.
Which, I guess, is a good thing: it means that whatever it was, we've resolved it and have moved on. Meaning we both aren't the type to harbpor resentment. See, I've always believed that couples who can stand going for long periods on end without speaking to each other over a fight are weird. Sure, a little time out is good once in awhile, but to not talk to each other for three weeks and still say na sila pa? Yup, weird.
Or maybe that's just me.
***
And because I just watched X-Men III awhile ago:
I'm now going to focus all my energies to getting Eric to even at least consider the name "Logan" if we have a boy.
Because "Wolverine" would be pushing it.
And "Hugh" doesn't sound nice when paired with a Chinese surname.
Yes, now this is definitely just me.
Sunday, May 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment