Saturday, March 03, 2007

How sweet it is... or isn't?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm being a good enough wife to Eric, and by "good" I mean if I pamper him enough.

Case in point: Last year, we had a party at our house and one of Eric's friend's wife arrived earlier than her husband because he had to work late. The food was served buffet style, so we all ate ahead of him.

A couple of hours after dinner started, the friend arrived and proceeded to circulate and say "hi" to everyone. Meanwhile, his wife went into the kitchen and proceeded to load up a plate of food for him, which she handed to him afterwards. He literally didn't have to lift a finger to get his meal; the food came to him.

Of course, initially I raised my eyebrows at the whole thing ("May kamay naman siya, bakit di nalang siya ang kumuha ng pagkain niya?") but then I got to thinking that maybe this is supposed to be the norm between husbands and wives? After all, my brother's girlfriend is the same thing. Even at a regular dinner table, my brother sits back and lets the girl put his entire meal on his plate, even down to the amount of pesto sauce on his pasta.

So my question is: Is this what all wives and girlfriends should do for their husbands or boyfriends? Because I certainly don't, and in the same vein Eric doesn't do it to me, either. The most we do is put viands on each other's plate when the dish is within our reach and far from the other one's. We don't presume to prepare the partner's entire meal, because for one thing, who am I to know if Eric is in the mood for that much crab, just as Eric can't gauge how much sauce I want on my spaghetti.

Eric jokes that his friends and my brother's girlfriend are probably looking at me and thinking that I'm the un-sweetest wife they've ever met.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hoy... inunahan lang nya ako..i would have gotten my own food din... :p

Anonymous said...

Don't worry babe, I never expected you to pamper me. You know me, I like doing things myself especially at the dinner table. I don't wanna comment on your blog about those girlfriends/wives who "serve" their partners at the dinner table. You know it already, atin-atin na lang hehe!!

moan said...

hahaha... it's so sweet of eric to comment! he should have a blog - i enjoy reading his reactions to your posts! :)