
"Mind Your Language" is the title of a hilarious British comedy series about the day in the life of a language teacher (Jeremy Brown) trying to teach English to a group of immigrants, which include French, Japanese, German, Chinese, Pakistani-Muslim, Greek, Spanish, etc. nationals. Naturally, there is a lot of miscommunication (not to mention mispronounciation), and some of the humor can be racist (like exaggerating the Chinese's penchant for pronouncing "r" as "l"), but it's really so funny that it would be hard to take offense.
I got to know about this show courtesy of Eric, who first came across it during his high school days in Singapore. He bought the DVD a few months back and now I'm torn between watching this and "Friends"!
Some notable quotable quotes from "Mind Your Language":
Ranjeet Singh: If at first, you are not succeeding, try try!
Jeremy Brown: [corrects Ranjeet] Again.
Ranjeet Singh: If at first, you are...
-----------------------------------------
Jeremy Brown: Today, we'll talk about vowels. Who can tell me what the vowel sounds are?
Ali Nadim: I know! A rumbling stomach!
-------------------------------------------
[calling out roll] Jeremy Brown: Giovanni?
[stands up] Giovanni Capello: Si, professore!
Jeremy Brown: No "professore"!
Giovanni Capello: No "professore"?
Jeremy Brown: No, from now on, you are to address me as "Sir".
Giovanni Capello: "Sir"? Now I understand!
[bows]
Giovanni Capello: You have gone to get "notted"!
[baffled]] Jeremy Brown: Come again?
Giovanni Capello: Si, you have gone to get "notted" by the Queen!
-------------------------------------
Trust me, it's funnier when you watch it!

No comments:
Post a Comment