Thursday, June 23, 2005

Day 4: General Santos and back to Cotabato City

Bright and early, we went to the Gen San Fish Port, the biggest in the country. Sashimi galore!Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And according to the people I talked to, konti pa itong mga tuna, because it’s low season now. I can’t imagine how the place must look (and smell) if it’s peak season.

Caught tuna are cut and cleaned…
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Before being loaded for export to Japan and all the way to the United States.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Discarded tuna heads are sold in the market, where they can be used to make paksiw.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After lunch, we were on our way back to Cotabato City, where we passed by the house of the Maguindanaoan provincial governor. We were told it cost PHP80million to build! This picture doesn’t even show half of the whole place! Paging the BIR….
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And if you see colorful flags like these lining the roads of Muslim territory, it means that a member of Muslim royalty is about to get married. Yes, it seems being a datu or a bai (“princess”) still carries some weight.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hmm, maybe I'll hang Chinese lanterns across EDSA for my wedding...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm Yellow Fin Tuna :) Did you ask how much the price for one whole tuna?

Anonymous said...

did you get a malong? how much does one cost? maybe i should reconsider that job offer in gen san. hahaha

Jaclyn said...

Hi Paoyu! A Class A tuna (export-quality), costs about P200 per kilo on the average. The biggest Class A tuna weighs, on the average, 80 kilos. You do the math :)

And no, sorry, wasn't able to get you any native jewelry. There wasn't any time to go shopping and I don't think the places we went to sold any jewelry. I have a lot of tuna sardines, if you want, hehe. Maybe in Caraga? :)

Hi Kayenne--a malong costs anywhere from P1,000 to P3,000, depending the material used. No, I didn't get a malong, just a shawl :)