Tuesday, August 16, 2005

What a way to start the morning

I wasn't feeling so great when I woke up today (that time of the month again), but my queasiness doubled when I actually saw a goat being hammered to death on my way to work.

See, there's a small kambingan alongside the road that my dad and I pass every morning. And every morning, it's not uncommon for me to see a freshly roasted goat displayed on the table for all the world to see and buy. Right beside the display table is a small enclosure where anywhere between 1 to 10 goats are kept at any one time. Sometimes, I find myself wondering if they know the fate that lies ahead of them.

True, seeing roasted goats day after day can be quite disconcerting, but I was never as affected as I was this when I saw the live kill.

Traffic was a bit bad this morning and my dad and I found ourselves idling right in front of the kambingan. I saw only one live goat inside the enclosure, its nose jutting out from in-between the wires, looking as cute as can be.

Then it jumped, and started skittering about the cage. I peered closer and saw a man trying to grab hold of it.

He was holding a hammer on one hand.

When he finally got hold of the goat by the neck, I knew what was going to happen and turned away to face my dad. "I think the goat's going to get killed," I all but shrieked.

Sure enough, just as my dad turned to look, we could hear the goat's high-pitched bleating.

I told my dad to turn up the volume of the radio and fortunately, the traffic light turned green and we were on our way.

I swear, I wanted to throw up.

Partly from disgust, and also from guilt.

See, I've long been trying to be a semi-vegetarian (as in just eat chicken and seafoods) but there are times when I just can't resist the occasional steak and porkchops.

Well, after seeing what I saw today, my resolve just strengthened by about 50 notches.

You guys really had to hear the goat for yourselves.

4 comments:

cc(,``o said...

ayw. roasted goat is yumyum and i like kalderata. but that man is really bad though. i heart the easiest and simplest way to kill a goat is making it drink vinegar:D

cc(,``o said...

btw i once saw our helper kill a duck. the duck was still flapping with it's neck dangling half cut and a nail stuck from ear out the other.

Anonymous said...

gee... thanks fr the duck description les... [roll eyes]

UGH... i think there are more humane ways to kill a goat. i often see chickens get dressed for sale at the mayon market. it was way more humane and sanitary. as long asi don't think of it, i can remain omnivorous.

cc(,``o said...

hehehe:P kawawa tlga ung duck and sounds so cruel but it wasn't deliberate though. nahirapan sila masydo sa pagpatay ng duck. ewan ko b bakit nakatakbo p yung duck and flap its wings sa ganung condition