Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Of cravings and mid-afternoon drowsiness

I've realized that making certain statements from my end, which people took as normal when I was single, now stand for something else since I'm married.

I'm talking about statements like, "Uy, lunch tayo sa Sushi-ya, am craving for Japanese food."

Or, "Grabe, inaantok ako," at around 2pm on a workday.

I used to say these things all the time before I got married and people thought nothing of it. But now, the immediate response I get is, "Oh my God, are you pregnant?"

Let's not even talk about the reaction I get when I say I'm not feeling well, or that I found out that I have gained weight recently.

Or quasi-acquaintances in the office who, instead of saying, "Good morning," greet me with "Ano, buntis ka na ba?"

I wish people would stop asking or obsessing whether I'm pregnant or not. To be fair, I used to be just like that—asking every newlywedded friend if she's already expecting or when they plan to have kids. But now that I'm on the receiving end of these questions, I know better. I've realized how it can sometimes get annoying, and how it can mostly just add to the pressure of conceiving—especially if, like in our case, we want to wait a little longer.

So far, it's just friends and peers who are asking. Oh yeah, and my mom too, but she and my dad have always been vocal about wanting to have grandkids. But I'm careful not to mention words like "cravings" or "indigestion," in front of them, don't want to get their hopes up.

So far, my in-laws have been quiet about the issue, but maybe they're just being discreet. Eric says he knows giving them a grandkid will also make them very happy. So I'm careful with what I say in front of them as well.

We have some family reunions slash Christmas parties coming up in the next few weeks, so I suppose I should brace myself for the slew of "O, are you already pregnant?" questions as well.

On the bright side, it's good to know that there so many who are looking forward to the arrival of our baby (*fingers crossed*) Promise, guys, next year, we'll get right on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha. buti hinde nmn hinihingi ng mom magaganda na grandkids:D mom ko gusto nya maganda dw or isasauli nya at ayw nya magbantay:D lol

Anonymous said...

and oh pag pretty dw na bata she'll gladly take care of it forever. baka she'll never return the kid:D hehehehe

Anonymous said...

well...how's adjusting to married life?