Thursday, December 22, 2005

Smelling stories

One of my favorite household chores is doing the laundry.

Specifically, the part after the washing machine stops churning and I start hanging the clothes out to dry.

Because I love the smell of freshly-laundered clothes. Eric always wonders why it takes me so long to hang them... he doesn't know it's because once in awhile, I press my nose against a clean shirt or towel and just stand there for some time, hehehe.

Yes, the combinaton of laundry detergent, bleach, and fabric softener makes me high.

***

I love the smell of other things as well. Like:

1. Garlic and onions being sautéd, which I get to smell a lot because one of my "specialty dishes" (meaning one of the few things I can confidently cook pretty well) is stir-fried veggies.

2. Freshly-cut grass.

3.Grass after it drizzles.

4. Actually, also the smell of just rain, period.

5. A baby's hair. Ever notice that no matter what time of the day it is or what the baby has been doing (whether eating, sleeping, pooping, or playing), his head/hair always smells so good?

6. And then there's the smell of the pages a new book. Everytime I read a new novel, I find myself stopping in-between pages just to inhale the paper.

7. No matter how full I am, everytime I go home and smell my mom frying porkchops, my stomach rumbles.

8. The smell of a new car (although I don't like how the smell stays on your clothes for awhile when you leave the car).

9. My pillow when I go to sleep at night, especially after a long day at work.

10. Hospitals. Some people find that smell of antiseptic and medication icky, but I can't help but take a deep breath everytime I step into a hospital. Of course, I think I'm inhaling germs and bacteria as well, but as long as I smell the antiseptic, I can delude myself into believing that the air is sterile, hehehe.

***

So what do you guys like smelling?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of gasoline at a gas station. Its sickeningly noxious, but I love it somehow.

Jaclyn said...

Hmm..that would explain a lot of things about you, hehehe. Just kidding!!! :)

Anonymous said...

how about the scents in a dentist's office or that of a bank's ?

Anonymous said...

you like the smell of a new book, i love the smell of an old, well-worn book. (hehehe) stargazer lilies. cedarwood - i have that on aromatherapy burner(thanks to zen zest!). i love it!

i hate hate hate vanilla and lavendar though.

Jade said...

I also love the smell of laundry detergent. When I was a kid I would hang around at a grocery next to our shop and just smell all those bars and powders. I still do that now by the way.. hehe...

Anndee said...

i looove the smell of new-fresh-off-the-press-crunchy money!! hahaha (preferably with the serial numbers still in order) :)

Anonymous said...

coffee!!!!

Anonymous said...

you would make a great testimonial copy - I hope you use ARIEL!!! :)

Anonymous said...

id like to go to that hospital... cause the hospital where i work smelld like shit, piss, blood, sweat and... death.

i like the smell of shampoo... on a girl...

-rain