Friday, May 13, 2005

Confessions of an idealistic romantic

Read an interesting article in Paoyu's blog today. It's from The Japan Times and entitled "Middle-aged men seek reconciliation with wives."

Condensed version: Japanese men are regretting how they've taken their wives for granted all these years, so now they're trying to bring the romance back into their lives by, one, "...attending support groups that coach these men on how to talk to their wives, express their emotions and rekindle the flame of love...."; and, two, renewing the courtship by spending on jewelry.

My first reaction was that it's a sad reflection of a certain society if its husbands have to join support groups to get tips on how to talk to their wives.

But then I also found myself wondering if I'm being overly smug for thinking such a thing. Because sometimes, I think I'm being too idealistic for my own good. Everytime I hear of couples splitting up, of spouses cheating on each other, of partners discovering they are incompatible only after 10 years into the relationship.... I always tell myself "Ha! No way is that going to happen to us." Because, to be honest, if anyone were to ask me right now, I would say that I am 100% confident that Eric and I will stay madly in love with each other until we are old and gray.

Because I don't see it going any other way.

Or...am I just refusing to see it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kangaeru na! Kanjirunda!

Trans: Don't think! Feel!

If you think too much ahead, you'll just overwhelm yourself. Here's where my project management skill comes to play. Understand the risk associated with getting married, such as couples bickering.

Probability of it occuring in your marriage life, very high. The impact on the relationship could be moderate to extremely high. Before it reaches the boiling point mitigate the risk and come up with at least 3 resolution.

My college degree & work is finally paying off ^_^

Anonymous said...

So that's the correct spelling of "Gray". Hindi pala "Grey", he he he!!

Jaclyn said...

Nice one, 3ple4.... napaka-"profound" ng entry ko, and yan lang ang ma-c-comment mo?! Hmph :(