
Rainier had been bugging me since the start of his summer vacation to watch Saw, so I finally relented last night.
I don’t regret my decision… But let’s just say I’m glad I watched it in the comfort (and security) of my own bed.
The plot centers around a doctor and an amateur photographer who wake up to find themselves the victims of a serial killer called “Jigsaw.” Jigsaw, in his convoluted desire to make people appreciate life better, kidnaps morally wayward people (i.e. a drug addict, a voyeur, etc.) and makes them play horrific games for their survival. An example: one of his victims had attempted to commit suicide by slashing his wrists. So the killer places him inside a steel cage filled with protruding razor blades. Ironically, if the victim stays where he is, he is safe from the blades, but he will die of starvation; if he wants to live, he will have to go through the cage to get to the door, but will get himself cut up. Use your imagination.
Saw is twisted, gory, macabre, and nail-bitingly suspenseful, which is how I like scary movies to be. Not like all those zombie or The Ring movies where you know the monsters are the bad guys and the goal of the heroes is to find a way to exterminate them. Saw keeps you guessing until the very end, and just when you thought you could finally breathe easy, pow!, major plot twist.
I hear there's a sequel in the works. Can't wait!

No comments:
Post a Comment