Being a writer for a business magazine, I've found out, is worth squat if you can't even find the the right interviewees for your stories. I'm learning this the hard way.
Millionaires under 35 years of age? Entrepreneurs who got their capital by liquidating their assets?... These aren't the kind of people I have on my Friendster list.
As an editor, I have the semi-luxury of passing on difficult, "Where-the-hell-am-I-going-to-find-someone?!" assignments to my contributors. I say “semi” because I still have to help them find a couple of leads; otherwise, if they come up with no one close to the deadline, they may just give up and throw the assignment back to me. And it's going to end up my problem again.
I have practically memorized the sequence of names in my cellphone phone book (both of them!), because the past few days, I have been repeatedly scrolling through its entirety, trying to think if this person may know someone who knows someone who knows the kind of person I'm looking for. So far, out of 50+ messages for help, I got a whopping positive feedback of....2.
Lesson learned: I need to start making more friends.
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good to know I can always pass on difficult assignments to you, hehe.
Post a Comment