Last night's episode of Y Speak: Live was about whether young Pinoys should go abroad to seek greener pastures, or just stay here and continue to work for their country.
I only caught the show's first two gaps, but the topic still struck a chord with me because I also encountered a similar debate at a party last Friday night. One of Eric's friends, who came home after working abroad for a couple of years, was emphatically declaring to all that one of her priorities now is to apply for citizenship elsewhere—anywhere!—because, and I quote her, "Anything is better than a Filipino citizenship."
On one hand, I thought it was a very cynical thing to say, and I felt sad that here is another talented Filipino citizen who's giving up on her country. But on the other hand, who am I to argue when she says that she feels she has no future here?
These were pretty much the same views of Y Speak's panelists. Those who were for staying said that people are leaving only because they are being choosy about their work. It's not true that there's lack of work here, they say, it's just that people don't want to start at the bottom. But those who wanted to leave countered that at least starting from the bottom abroad will earn you a heck of a lot more than what you'll earn if you stay here. There's nothing wrong with venturing abroad to improve your own life, and your family's, they added.
Before I switched the TV off to go to dinner, the divine Marc Nelson (who was one of the guest moderators on the show), presented an audience member who was all for going abroad. That student said that people are leaving because of two things: poverty and corruption. The country is hopeless, he said, so get out when you can.
But Marc said that you'll always find corruption anywhere. Maybe it's just not as bad as the Philippines, but leaving doesn't help make the situation better. Why not stay, he said, and use your skills and talents to help solve the country's problems. Instead of running away from it.
So what's my stand on the matter? It's hard to give a definite answer. On one hand, I agree with what Marc said (Yeah, baby! See why I'm so in love with the guy?) but at the same time, I'm thinking that maybe I have the luxury of thinking this way because I have a relatively cushy job and a relatively comfortable life. In short, I can afford to stay here. If I were to be living on a hand-to-mouth existence, my answer may be different.
Monday, May 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I don't think, its the starting at the bottom that turns people off, but where you would eventually end up 5-10 years from now.
Not to mention, working in the Phil, you can't cherish the fruits of your labor. Unless, of course, you inherited your parent's biz and live with your parents. An average person with a college degree in the Phil will not be able to sustain himself nor enjoy luxury.
If somebody works in the US, sure he has to start from the bottom. He won't be rich, nor will he be poor. He could rent an apartment on his own, own a car, food, and still have money for entertainment.
Commenting on Marc Nelson, easier for him to say. He's a celebrity, he's not making a difference in the world. What kind of talent & skill is he providing to the country? Other than swooning female jologs & achieving a great body.
How can you make a country better? If those in power are crushing those who could actually do good for the country, cuz it will change their own personal agenda.
Your Kina' funny Kiddo, nice sense of humor. More power to your journalistic undertaking. eloy
Post a Comment