
On page 84:

I had the most fun time doing this article, because it incorporated everything I like to do: (1) meeting interesting people; (2) debunking misconceptions I have about certain people or issues; and (3) having the opportunity to educate other people about these same misconceptions.
I interviewed a big-shot lawyer who squandered all his money on all alcohol, to the point that he had to transfer his kids from private school to a public school; a good-looking guy from a pretty well-off family who was hooked on shabu for 365 days for 5 whole years; and a 22-year-old gambler who put up his family's car as collateral in a casino! So yes, not all addicts come from poor families, broken families, or because they're freaks of nature. They can be our co-workers, our neighbors, or even our own family members.
This wasn't included in the final article, but the biggest thing I learned from my interview with the director of the rehabilitation center was this: addiction is a disease—much like cancer. Meaning certain people are already born with the predisposition to be addicted to something, be it shopping, shoes, alcohol, or even sex. You will only know what substance you are addicted to once you've encountered it. So addicts are not at fault. The disease is incurable, they can only know how to manage or control it. That is why, even after rehab, there is always the danger of relapse.
And yes, I was actually offered to interview a sex addict. That would've been fascinating, but I had to pass as it was not included in the list of addictions I was assigned to feature. Maybe next time. I'm sure that story/experience will require a separate blog entry altogether.

3 comments:
You can interview me NEXT TIME =P
Why, Pao, what addictions do you have? *innocent look*
read your article na!! :) galing! next time sama ako again when you go to interviews! :)
Post a Comment