Caraga (pronounced ca-RA-ga and not CA-ra-ga) is the newest region of the Philippines, also designated as Region XIII.
The word "Caraga" comes from the Visayan word "Kalagan": "Kalag" meaning soul or people and "An" meaning land. The Kalagans have a long history of being brave and fearless. Thus, the region was called by early chroniclers as the "Land of the Brave and Fierce People.
The region is composed of 4 provinces: Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur; and 3 cities: Butuan, Surigao and Bislig.
So again here's an overview of Mindanao—last time, I was in the blue-colored area. This time, I'll be in the purple portion:

And here is that purple area in detail:

Interesting trivia: Schools teach us that Ferdinand Magellan "discovered" the Philippines via Cebu. However, a different version of history is claimed by Butuan. Seems Magellan landed in Butuan first, then proceeded to Cebu. Various evidence, including artifacts, tradition, various historial text passages, etc. point out to Butuan as a possible landing site by Magellan.
Anyway, I'll be visiting wood processors, jewelry-makers, and the walang katapusang fruit processors (which will most likely be durain again, I bet, haaay.) And also lots of beaches, lakes, waterfalls, and historical landmarks. Can't wait! See you guys again on Friday.

2 comments:
Enjoy!!! Just don't forget my souvenir, LOL
hay... buti ka pa... m in baguio again... year after year... LoL not that i'm complaining... sana matuloy sagada namin 1st quarter next year.
Post a Comment