Thursday, April 14, 2005

Drummers rock!

I've never had much appreciation for drummers of bands, but that's changed ever since I got an mp3 player. Because the music plays so close to my ears (and quite clearly at that), I sometimes find myself "isolating" bits of the song—sometimes it's the back-up vocalist, sometimes the piano or guitar... lately, though, it's been the drums.

When it's a particularly catchy, foot-thumping, head-bobbing tune, I would find myself straining to pick out the beat and then tap it out with my fingers. I then try to imagine the drummer, executing the rhythm using his two hands and foot, and I would find myself amazed at how talented one really has to be to be able to syhchronize all three body parts to form coherent beats.

There are also times when I would imagine how a certain song would sound if it did not have percussion, and I realize all the more how important those instruments really are.

I have yet to learn how to tell a good drummer from a bad one, but nonetheless I now have a great deal of respect for these musicians. I now also understand why, more often than not, it's the drummer (and not necessarily the vocalist) who scores the most chicks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

actually, drummers are able to synchronize all of their limbs. the left foot(if right-handed drums set-up)controls the hi-hat, to open or close it. that's why sometimes you can hear sizzle and choke sounds on the beat. :)

-martz