Ok, to be honest, am not really peeved over the name-change per se—after all, I can (and I will) hyphenate my name for my bylines, so that I'll still retain some semblance of my original identity. It's more of why I have to be the only one to go through the process of change; why do I (or all married women, for that matter) have to be the only one to go through the hassles of changing my name on my passport, driver's license, SSS, BIR, PhilHealth, and who knows what else? How come the men don't have to do a thing?
Buti pa ang mga Chinese. They may prefer sons over daughters, but at least their daughters get to keep their names when they get married.

3 comments:
you're right! super hassle!
Actually. There are some cases wherein Chinese male switch to the last name of his wife's family. The wife family is more well off and they needed a quasi-son, so guy gets adopted to the family.
wow, i never knew that about the chinese women's surname. interesting...
Post a Comment