Saturday, September 10, 2005

A lesson in gratitude

We are often told to be thankful for what we have, rather than whine about what we don't have.

To be honest, I sometimes find myself forgetting to do just that, and instead focus more on my "wants" than on the things I should be grateful for.

But after interviewing the owner of the Teriyaki Boy chain of restaurants this past week, I don't think I'll be feeling as "needy" as much anymore.

From August 30 to the end of October, the restaurant will donate 1 peso out of every customer's bill to a fund that will go to granting the wishes of 30 less fortunate kids.

I read the wishes and to say that I was touched is an understatement. Because these kids did not ask for "a house and lot." Or "a trip to Disneyland." Not even "One million pesos." Instead, one kid asked for "a pair of rubber shoes." Another one asked for "skirt, blouse, panties (panties!!!) and socks." One more asked to receive a computer, "just like the one I see on TV." And one asked for a TV, but not for himself...he wants it for his school.

And other equally simple things. One kid who is diagnosed with cancer wrote down as his wish--"to visit Manila Zoo." Another one who is equally gravely sick just asked that he be able to watch his favorite celebrity perform live. The only one who asked for money was the kid who asked for a measely P10,000... and only so that his parents "can open a sari-sari store."

Teriyaki Boy's original intention was for the customers to vote on the wishes, and only one winning wish would be fulfilled. But after seeing how simple the requests were, they said they would fulfill ALL of them; whatever amount they can gather from their customers, they'll add on it to be able to make all the wishes come true.

So eat at Teriyaki Boy when you can; or sponsor one of the wishes yourselves (which is one customer did--he flat out gave one of the branch managers the money to buy that one kid his rubber shoes.) And the next time you find yourself complaining that you don't have the latest cellphone, or annoyed that you have yet to own the latest fashion fad.... just think about the kid who can't even afford to buy new underwear....and be thankful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

soooooo true

Anonymous said...

soooooo true